Each year as January 26th approaches I feel like something significant happened on that day. My first thought always goes to the birthday of my Key West Niece, but then I remember her birthday is in June. Then I remember...that was the date of Grandma Davenport's funeral - which brings a whole flood of other memories.
Leaving Mike at Uncle Bob's house so we could go to the funeral. Wanting to tell him I love him, but my cousin was in the room so I was too embarrased to say it in front of him.
Standing in the cemetery as they lower her casket into the ground.
Being told by mom on the way home that she is not to be buried with her jewelry on.
When we got home Mike was gone, Aunt Donna had taken him to Stanford for his appointment.
Friday, February 1st I went to my friend's house for a sleepover.
Saturday, February 2nd I called Mom to have her come get me. I almost said, "Tell Mike I love him." but I thought, "I will be home in a few minutes. I'll tell him then."
As we walked into the entry we saw Dad running across the family room. He had been in the garage with the intercom on so he could hear if Mike needed help. He heard a noise and went in to check. Mike was gone. We walked in as he was running to the phone to call for help.
Today, February 5th is the 36th anniversary of his funeral.
I miss you Mike. I love you. I hope you are working hard helping those who have left this life without hearing of the gospel to know of its truth, helping to make all of our efforts in family history work, indexing, and temple attendance to be appreciated and accepted.
P.S. Now may my family members understand why I always end a phone conversation by saying "I love you." You never know when it might be the last opportunity to be able to say it.


3 comments:
Thank you!
These are great thoughts! Thanks for sharing.
I have a few memories of Mike. Not many, but a few. I do recall a time when he stayed with our family for a few days. Perhaps it was while you were gone for your Grandmother's funeral. I was just young so all of those details are lost. Sweet post, Marla.
Post a Comment