Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Unexpected change of plans

Since I am not going to crossing guard anymore I have decided to go for a walk each morning. Also, since Duke has gotten pretty fat over the winter I decided he would go with me.

Yesterday went pretty well, he only pulled on me down the canyon and a little past the new church as we went up Heritage Hills Drive. Then he walked next to me really good the rest of the walk, over to Grove Drive, down to 200 North, over to Main Street and back home. I had to use the 10 foot long tie out wrapped around my waist several times because we couldn't find the leash, so I bought a new one when I was out yesterday.

The walk today was not so good. I put Duke on the leash, holding it in my right hand and going behind my back so I could quickly stop to regain his attention. (I think he has ADHD.) He pulled down the canyon, walked next to me over to Grove, then saw a family, Mom, Dad with a kid in a backpack, a little kid walking, and a little dog on a leash. Duke went crazy. We waited for the family to get ahead of us, but he still wanted that dog. So I decided we would run past the family. It worked sort of okay. Just as we got to them Duke went crazy, but I managed to get him under control and past the family, and on down Grove we went.

But, I didn't notice the little white dog on the other side of the short white fence down by 300 North. Again Duke went crazy. I tried to push him with my legs to get him past the fence. Remember where the leash was? attached to my wrist and behind my back? Well I pushed him forward with my legs, my left hand holding the leash near his body, and he pushed me back so he could get to the dog. I went over the top of him, and having no hands available landed right on my chin.

RIIIIINNNNGGGG!!!! That is the sound I heard in my ears. Laying there on my stomach I tried to determine if my face was broken. Then I heard a guy say, "Are you alright?" I sat up, put my hand to my chin, and brought it away covered with blood. I looked down and saw blood drops all over my shirt. I turned to the guy and said, "No? Do you have something?" He brought his first aid kit and handed me a roll of gauze while I called Jenny. Fortunately she was still home because she didn't have to be to work until 1pm. But, she was still in bed. She came down to get us and took us home. Then she decided I needed stitches, so we went to the urgent care.



While there I notice a migraine starting. They didn't give me anything for it until 15 minutes later, so the Migraine got a good start. She put about 5 stitches in my chin and sent me home. I had planned on weeding along the edge of the back yard today, but ended up spending it in bed with a huge headache and a very sore jaw. So much for plans.

The next question is... do I take Duke for a walk tomorrow?

BTW: A couple of weeks ago a young couple rang the doorbell. When I answered it they asked if I would be willing to let them use our backyard for their wedding reception in August. I told them it was okay. They said they would get back to me, yes or no, if they were going to use it. She called Monday night and they want to have it here. I guess now we get to build a gazebo. Their reception was going to be my excuse for getting it done this summer.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh no! I say get rid of the dog. :)

But the gazebo thing is cool!

Wes and Amy Larsen said...

Agreed!

Anonymous said...

That dog seems to be a bit uncontrolable. He sounds risky to me.